In summer and heat, cases of gastroenteritis increase in babies, but at all times we must have good hygiene and food handling practices, especially in the preparation and storage of purees or bottles for children under two years of age. they are more sensitive to germs and bacteria.
According to the WHO, the highest incidence of diarrheal diseases occurs during the second half of the first year of life, which is precisely when the baby's complementary feeding begins to be incorporated or increased.
Baby bottles are one of the main routes in the transmission of pathogens, since their cleaning is more difficult than that of the rest of the dishes, it is possible that food remains on their walls or nipple.
It is common for homemade purees to ferment with exposure to heat, or are altered due to not having proper hygiene, fermented foods increase the risk of microbiological contamination, which is one of the triggers of childhood diarrhea, for which it is convenient follow and implement the appropriate hygienic measures.
- Although it is quite obvious to say so, it is essential to use drinking water for washing and preparing baby food. If we are traveling, we must always use bottled water.
- To prepare the bottles, we must not use water stored for several days, even if it is mineral (we must discard the excess water once opened, if it has not been used during the day).
- We must thoroughly wash nipples and bottles, as well as the dishes or containers where food for our baby is to be prepared or deposited. The use of the dishwasher, which uses water at high temperatures, is great to achieve a good disinfection.
- Use clean utensils to prepare and serve food.
- Take care of the good condition of the food and the correct washing of vegetables, vegetables and fruits.
- We must wash our hands before preparing food and offer it to the baby to eat.
- We store cooked food safely, serving it shortly after its preparation or storing it as soon as possible at cold temperatures.
- Avoid overheating or breaking the temperature of food abruptly.
- Do not expose food to the sun or heat.
Patro Gabaldon. Editor of our site
You can read more articles similar to Food hygiene can prevent childhood illnesses, in the category of Childhood Diseases on site.