We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
When the child begins to stop drinking milk (well through the Breastfeeding bottle) and starts in the process of introduction of other foods With a more consistent texture, many parents wonder about the type of cutlery most recommended for little ones. It is true that there is a wide variety of children's cutlery on the market, but the reason is also that there are countless situations, conditions, ages and abilities of children.
Specifically, in this publication we are going to talk about the most important and main cutlery in the early stages of children with porridges and crushed foods, the spoon, and we are going to give you a series of guidelines for choosing the best spoon for children.
We can find spoons of different materials (metal, plastic, silicone, etc.), of different sizes (small, large, flat, deep, etc.) and shapes (rounded, square, triangular, etc.), but also other varieties characterized by a significant thickness of the handles and that allow greater ergonomics or control of children.
Attending to the frequent doubt of how to choose the best spoon for each child, we provide you with a brief summary with some of the most important properties that accompany each of these varieties:
According to your material
- The metal spoons They offer the advantage of cold, which is given by the material itself and therefore awakens our proprioception (meaning that informs the body of the position of the muscles). If we are faced with the situation that the child is in the process of tooth eruption and frequently bites the spoon, perhaps metal is not a good option compared to teeth.
- The spoon plastic They do not offer the advantage of cold, but in strong bite situations, they can be an excellent option.
- Due to its soft condition and close to suction, the silicone spoons they are an excellent initial proposal to favor the transition from the bottle or breast to the beginning of the spoon; As the child matures, it is important to increase the rigidity of the material and, therefore, change to a stronger one.
According to its size
- The large spoons They will mainly be logically indicated for larger mouths, while small spoons will be recommended for smaller mouths. This is easy to know if we place the spoon on its side and at the level of the lips: the length of the spoon should correspond to the distance between the corner and the corner of the lips.
- The flatter spoons They are for children who require a lower volume, for example, in case of poor ability to generate a bolus, and the deep spoons would be synonymous, most of the time, with a greater oral ability.
According to its shape
- The round spoons They are the most common and indicated in case there is no swallowing and / or feeding difficulty. Normally the square and triangular ones are used and recommended by speech therapists in certain situations of difficulty to work on aspects such as picking up food with the lips or doing some different stimulation at the level of the tongue.
A whole range of possibilities that will depend on each child because remember that each one has its own rhythm and process.
You can read more articles similar to Complete guide to choosing the best spoon for children, in the Babies category on site.